Introduction to LabSOCS™ Calibration Software
Instructor: Celeste Olive
Date: Monday, July 17, 2023
Description: This 1-day seminar provides a general introduction to the LabSOCS mathematical efficiency calibration software, including the primary topics noted below. The intent is to effectively cover a large amount of material in lecture format at a relatively fast pace, while preserving adequate time for questions and open discussion.
Who Should Attend: The intended audience includes technologists or supervisory personnel who are responsible for performing LabSOCS efficiency calibrations, and the operation of gamma spectroscopy systems using those calibration files. This seminar is also intended to provide adequate introductory training (or review) for anyone wishing to attend the “Getting the Most Accurate Model with the LabSOCS Beaker Editor - Advanced” seminar to be presented on the following day. Attendees should be familiar with fundamental principles of gamma spectroscopy, and preferably have some previous training and experience with the Apex-Gamma™ and/or Genie™ 2000 software.
How You Will Benefit: Attendees who complete this seminar will attain a good understanding of the features and sample modeling capabilities of the LabSOCS software package. This knowledge will enable attendees to effectively use this software and interpret the efficiency calibration results. Supervisors and managers will benefit from the knowledge and proficiency gained by attendees, with improved data quality for their gamma spectroscopy measurement program.
- Use of the Genie 2000 Geometry Composer application
- Features of the standard LabSOCS geometry templates
- Tips for proper template parameter entry
- Editing the Materials Library
- Changing the default efficiency calculation parameters
Several common sample geometries will be selected as practical examples to demonstrate the complete LabSOCS efficiency calibration process, including:
- Selecting a LabSOCS geometry template
- Entering all required geometry parameters
- Viewing the Geometry Composer report
- Generating the efficiency data points
- Creating an efficiency calibration file
- Proper use of the calibration file during spectral analyses in Genie 2000 software
- Cascade summing considerations